Not sure what to make for dinner tonight? Want to feed your family something healthy?
This recipe is very flavorful and is filled with wholesome nutrients, vitamins and fiber. Unlike most teriyaki recipes, this doesn’t contain sugar, yet it maintains a sweet undertone. Serve on a bed of baby arugula and quinoa. Servings: 4
Here’s what you need:
- 1 can naturally sweetened, zero calorie lemon lime soda (Zevia brand)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion – half minced and half thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon coconut crystals (or 1 teaspoon agave nectar or 1 packet Stevia)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch segments
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- optional *baby arugula and cooked quinoa
- Combine the soda, soy sauce, vinegar, minced onion, garlic, ginger and coconut crystals in a bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Reserve 1 cup of marinade.
- Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and heat on medium high, turning once, for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the sliced onion and asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Add the reserved marinade and boil until slightly reduced. Add the cilantro.
- Serve over a bed of baby arugula and cooked quinoa.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 289 calories, 13g fat, 963mg sodium, 4.8g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 29g protein